[SunRescue] RE: [Sunhelp] Which SPARCstation is better?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:17:02 CST 2000

I was actually planning to pull my 2x write 6x read SCSI drive and mount it
internally on my SS20, after removing both the CD-ROM drive and floppy.  Any
bad things that might do?

> For SS10:
>
> Onboard ISDN.  Better CPU module cooling.  Uses "normal"  50-pin SCSI
> disks with no expensive brackets.  Can use cheaper memory (SS20 memory
> will work in SS10 but SS10 won't always work in SS20).  Base
> systems are
> still significantly cheaper.

I'd hardly consider onboard ISDN an advantage, but that's just me.  :)

> Depends on what you want to do.  One thing I would warn you
> is to avoid
> pumping huge amounts of money into either machine as Ultra 1's are
> rapidly getting cheaper.  They're not MP, but a good Ultra 1E
> will walk
> all over a Sparc 20 for bus speed and graphics performance.

You're talking about Creators for the Ultras, right?  I'd love to have
decent graphics on one of my SPARCs, 8 bit is useless except for text mode
things, so maybe I'll have to get an Ultra1...
	Greg