[SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 9 11:24:51 CST 2000

> Do you have a copy of the appropriate version of the Field Engineer's
> Handbook to help determine the legal slot and to show the backplane and
> controller jumpering/switches?

Ahh, no.... I have some notes gathered from here and there.  I was
under the impression slots 1-6 were commonly jumpered for the cpu and
ram.  7 was dedicated internal passthrough scsi.  8 was dedicated open
or color framebuffer.  9-12 were tied together on some lines.

My x/260 machines have cpu/ram/scsi only, so slots 8-12 are open.
Since 8 is untied to the others, that would probably be where I
should put it, to keep it independent?  What jumpers to set on
slot 8?

Does the generic kernel on 4.1.1U1 or 4.1.3 have built-in dual
scsi controller capability, or do I need to recompile the kernel?

The controllers I put together were patterned off the ideas you seem
to have originated.  It works nicely on sun2 or sun3 controllers as
internal/external mods.  In fact, the sun2 controllers are a bit better
on my hardware, from what I can tell.  I am thinking my problems are more
due to the poor cabling than anything else.  I think I will persue that
idea of mounting the drives on an air baffle slide so the cabling
is under 2 feet in length to all 4 drives, and maybe 2 more feet up
to the tape.  That would keep the total bus length about 1.5 meters.

> You need the terminator with the little LED and it must be lit when the
> power is on and you should have it on both ends.

Where does one find those little critters?  Are they DB50 terminators?

Thanks

Bob