[SunRescue] Proper use of VME scsi controllers?????

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Wed Feb 9 03:56:32 CST 2000

Hi!

>...but in my own experience the only si's that I have seen working
>properly are the onboard ones in 3/50's and 3/60's, which are rock solid.

Yes, the VME si are more troublesome, but of course they offer much
more performance (if you call 1.5mb/sec "performacne" at all).

I found that they behave brave and nice in conjunction with a
Ciprico Rimfire and nothing else. Even an ie1 in their
neighbourhood makes them unreliable. Too bad. One of my si
now works in my 3/110, where no other cards except memory and
CPU disturb the si (3 slot are 3 slot are 3 slot).
Perhaps i should plug my other si into the 3/75...

Two Sun2-SCSI-controllers that work are still better than one
unreliable Sun3-SCSI-controller, period! And offer simillar
performance, because one can distribute the load.

Tschuess

Peter