[SunRescue] Sleds..

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Mon Feb 7 10:15:03 CST 2000

> Does anyone have any SS10 drive sleds?  I need three, but at least one
> would be adequate.  Also, does anyone know how to give users
permission
> to /dev/audio that aren't root?  I'm going to use my newest aquisition
> as an alarm clock among many other things, but as soon as I put
> something in cron it doesn't work.  I'm using the audioplay command.

Good, I'm not the only one. Keeping your regular user logged in will
work, as whoever is logged to the console gets permission to use the
audio device -- but I just gave up and let root cron it.There is a file
in /etc that controls which devices get switched over to a user logged
into the console, but I couldn't find any way it could help a cron job.
The little demo sound rooster makes a good alarm clock noise, but I'm
looking at mpg123 as the next step.

Hey (in an almost totally unrelated train of thought) is there text to
speech software for Unix? I've got an idea for a 'robot dj' mpg123
jukebox thing -- and it would cool if the computer could read out loud
the track titles. In my mind I'm seeing a web page where people can
select the music playing in my house ... shades of icepick.

---
David Rouse
Network Manager
Goldsboro News-Argus