[SunRescue] Misc. questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Feb 4 02:31:31 CST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> I have a few questions, most of which will seem very simplistic:
>
> 1. What file do I need to edit to set the path and shell used for the Root
> account in Solaris?

Don't do this.  Read news archives of comp.unix.solaris if you really need
to know why.

It's /etc/passwd.

> 2. Why can't I use the "su -m" command when I su to root to keep my shell's
> settings
> when I'm a superuser?

Because that option isn't in UNIX98 and is not a standard.  Doesn't exist
in AIX either, and I don't think it's in HP-UX.

> 3. When you do a core installation for Solaris 2.7, are the man pages left
> out?

Yes.  But if you really want fine control over what gets installed you can
customize the packages that are loaded.

> 4. By the way, where are all of the man pages located?!?

/usr/share/man (system stuff), /usr/openwin/man (openwin), /usr/dt/man
(CDE/Motif), etc.

> 4. Does anyone know of a way or an MP3 player that's effecient enough to
> play
> 128Kb 44KHz MP3's at full speed on a Sparc LX with 32 mb's ram and almost
> all processes stopped? Right now I'm using MPG123, and I can play MP3's but
> to get them not to skip I have to play them at mono, or I have to downmix
> them to
> 22Khz.

showmetv 1.3 can just manage it on an LX.  One problem is that it's an X
app.

> 5. What file or how do I make it so that the workstation will automatically
> login
> as a certain account?

If you really need to do this, look at the /etc/init.d files.  You can
have anything you want started out of the runlevel that you choose.

> If anyone has already done something like this I would be very interested in
> knowing
> how they went about doing this.

Sparc 5 (actually Axil 245), serial LCD panel for output, hacked keyboard
for input, caddy-loading Plextor 6plex in the dash.

Consider using the suspend/resume feature of the LX to avoid bootup time.
With only 32MB and running a small set of daemons it should be quite
snappy.

> P.S Anybody live in LA? I'm going to be moving there and I would like to
> hook up with some
> people, you know swap stuff, or go to swap meets, or dumpster diving...stuff
> like that. :-)

5 miles west of the 101/405 junction.

-James