Re(2): [SunRescue] WinNT on Alpha

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Thu Feb 3 08:44:57 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>"Hey, lets take the shelf from one box, and put it on the other!  and see
>what happens!" - amazingly, it recovered and worked fine.

You know, in spite of it's network throughput issues, MacOS has a couple
really nice features, including incredible drive portability, you can
generally take a drive out of a Mac, stick it in a different model Mac,
and turn it on and it comes up without a grumble.  In fact our web server
(PMac 9150/120)croaked, some kind of Motherboard/Memory problem, we pulled
the drive, stuck it in a 6150/66 and turned it on, came up without a
grumble.  Yeah, it's a small webserver, not a lot of traffic, but I can't
think of any other machine that would let you move a hard drive to
different hardware without some kind of rebuild.

I am very curious if  OSX will keep this kind of OS durability to go along
with it's other improvements.