Re(2): [SunRescue] WinNT on Alpha

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Thu Feb 3 08:35:41 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>The truth is it's a shame, the Alpha is a rocking cool machine, other than
>just serving up files and printer services and the other jobs NT is
>supposed
>to do, there is little software for the Alpha, I looked, thought it would
>be
>nice to outfit a bunch of machines in our office with NT on AlphaStaion
>200's since the staff is used to M$ products, but, no office productivity
>software was to be found. Pity, these machines are very nice, just trapped
>in the wasteland of big puter companies and their greed.
>
>Of course I haven't mentioned the UNIX OS's, but there still are no office
>like productivity packages out there for these nice boxen.
>
>Putting on my asbestos undies, I am sure there be fire out there after
>that
>message.
>
>Mike N

Corning Inc. was pretty heavy into Alpha boxes for design and CAD/CAM work
before there was a corporate shift to NT.  I've got a friend in the
tooling shop there that has managed to keep his whole shop on
Alpha/DigitalUnix in spite of considerable pressure from up the ladder.
It's strange, his shop never seems to go down, but the rest of the network
around him is always having problems....

Tim