[SunRescue] WinNT on Alpha

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Feb 3 03:37:14 CST 2000

Matthew Haas wrote:

> > Maybe that too?  In the case of NT for example, they even seemed to kill MIPS support,
> > so it's now just Alpha and x86.
>
> Didn't Compaq kill off the Alpha port of NT? So it is now successfully
> uniplatform again?

I don't want to stir up the discussion again, but from what I've seen,
Compaq did announce that they officially "stopped development of Windows
NT on Alpha".
But, when reading the fineprint, they just stopped the NT 4.0
development on Alpha.

So, at the end, the actual message was that they just stopped the 32-bit
development and intead going for the "o'so hyped" 64-bit WinNT. (Or was
that the other way around?)

It was a while since I've read this on Compaq's site, so times may have
changed even further.
Not that I think WinNT on Alpha was a very useable idea, but the fact
that it attracted some attention to a otherwise good platform, was for
the better. That's probably one thing that made the Alpha survive in
it's early days.
I could imagine lots of people nowadays know what an "Alpha" is.

	/Regards, Bjorn