[SunRescue] SGI Indigo 2 Impact or Extreme?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Feb 2 14:30:19 CST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 nick at ns.snowman.net wrote:

> It depends on what you're doing as I understand it.  The Extreme gfx is
> nice 2d, no hardware 3d.  The Impact is hardware 3d, and even hardware

Everything except the XL is h/w 3D.  Extreme was great at the time but not
so good now and no tex accel.  Impact is still quite good.

> texture at the higher levels.  The "fastest" proc is either a r4400 250mhz
> or a 190 (I think) mhz r10000 again depending on alot of stuff.

195MHz R10000 will beat the 250MHz R4400 for anything I can think of.

Indigo2 R10000 even beats O2 R10000 as the O2 memory subsystem isn't
really designed for the chip.  O2 R5000 SC is comparable to high end
Indigo2 R4400.

-James