[SunRescue] Stupid NVRAM questions

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Wed Feb 2 10:57:07 CST 2000

Hi!

One thing: The first three bytes of the MAC address (ethernet address)
are the vendor identifier. For Sun this is 8:0:20, period!
This leaves three bytes for wild guessing. But if i snoop thru
my /etc/ethers i find that the 4th byte is 0,1,6,7 or 8 for all
my Sun3. The older, the lesser the number. 7 or 8 is for the
sun3x, 0,1 and 6 for the sun3. And i never have seen machines
with 2,3,4,5 as the 4th byte.

Maybe we can safely use numbers starting with 8:0:20:5 ???
We should set up a cgi-bin that assigns such numbers!

But before a short survey: Please send me your ethernet
addresses and the type of the machine. I'll make a list.

Tschuess

Peter