Multia (was) Re: RE: [SunRescue] Solaris 2.5.1/PPC

Kris Kirby kris at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 2 07:41:46 CST 2000

> >Oddly enough, Besides the onboard Battery problem, Multia's are a reliable
> >little box. I had an uptime of about 7 months on mine (166 mhz 21164 w/64
> >Mb) until I upgraded to RedHat 6.1...
> > Running 5 Different websites, and ~20 E-mail Accounts. It isnt the fastest
> >box in the world, but it keeps chugging along :)
> >Stay away from the IDE Drives. Best config I found is use External SCSI and
> >put in a decent video card in the PCI Slot, if you have one.

The internal 2.5" [SCSI] drive keeled over on me. Thankfully, I have a
pair of external drives to run on it.

> One thing I will say - I bet I could run my Sun 3/75 on the carpet longer than
> the Multia horizontal (I accidently did that with my 3/75, and the carpet
> was pretty hot!).
>
> Also did the same with the Multia, and had to spray compressed air upside down
> on the CPU to get it back up (that hot).

I found a 24V fan (12V were sold out) that fits the 12V fan in the multia.
I screwed the two of them together and thus far, it runs cooler. Hard
drive didn't go because of heat.

----
<kris at nospam.hiwaay.net>    |
"God gave them the ability to reproduce...
	... Science gave us the hope they won't." -KBK