[SunRescue] Stupid NVRAM questions

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Tue Feb 1 15:58:52 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>This is probably a stupid question - I've read the NVRAM FAQ
>about reprogramming the NVRAM in my sun4c's.  I'm somewhat stumped
>now, trying to reconstruct the hostid and MAC address from the barcode on
>the top.
>
>Someone else told me an easier way involving using the IP address the
>machine is
>supposed to have with the hostid.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?  I have 2 IPC's that need the fix.
>
>Paul

If they are going to stay in house it doesn't really matter, as long as
you don't duplicate MAC addresses on your subnet.  I think any "true"
answer would require contacting SUN to see if they can from the serial #

IP number doesn't mean anything permanent, the IP number is set by the
subnet the machine lives on, not by Sun.