[SunRescue] Solaris 2.5.1/PPC

ward at zilla.nu ward at zilla.nu
Tue Feb 1 15:01:18 CST 2000

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 12:52:24PM -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:

> >Wazzat?  CHRP/PReP?
>
> That's what I was wondering - Couldn't think of a meaning for the acronym in time.

Common Hardware Reference Platform / PowerPC Reference Platform.  It was to be
the basis for all new PPC hardware, and was the basis for the BeBox and the IBM
PREP stuff, like the 43P.  Nice hardware model, lacking in SMP definitions.

Once considered the great white hope for RISC desktops, made inaccessable by the
enormous pricetags on the IBM and Motorola product lines.  Apple was supposed to
do the whole MacOS/CHRP thing, but Jobs killed it.  I guess he learned from his
mistakes at NeXT; it may or may not have saved Apple, but it sure got me quite
angry.

Reagen