[SunRescue] Tim Ranting

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Feb 29 15:47:32 CST 2000

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:38:53PM -0800, Taren wrote:
> This is the way it is in most of the older sparcs (SS1-20) that I've worked
> on...

I've *never* had a Sun/SPARC machine lose a power supply... at my last
job (which was mainly HP and SGI boxen), due to the fact that the building
had flaky power during the summer, and that management was too cheap to buy
UPSes ("Because the head office doesent have them either..."), I had to
replace 2-3 Indy power supplies a year.

However, they recently got tired of paying SGI's list price (or even a
reseller's used price) for replacement power supplies (which now, you
can get an entire used Indy for the cost of a power supply from SGI), and
went and bought *USED* APC UPSes for all the boxes from the local goodwill
computerworks..

Any power protection is better than none, though.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford | mrbill at mrbill.net |