[SunRescue] Tim Ranting

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Tue Feb 29 12:56:15 CST 2000

> >>Warning, RANT<<

A good rant, of course the questions in the bottom half of the rant are
partially answered by the issues you mention in the first part. The
computer companies and car companies are all trying to become soemthing
you can be emotionally attached to. Thus stuff like 1999-1/2 model year
cars and iMac revision d after almost two years of sales. Well, also to
create and inflame desire and stuff.

But please don't bash cool cases. Reliability may be why we use Sun
servers at work, but I've started collecting them at home partially
because the sun cases aren't crap (sparc 10 and IPX being my reference
points). I like the iMac case almost for the same reason, there is some
evidence that someone took time and care to design the thing.

Of course, there is nice engineering and then there is useless chrome.
I'm not at all happy with Aqua, for example. And MS's Chrome project ...
I haven't worked with any OS GUI's, so I can't comment on, say,
enlightenment. OpenWindows gets out of my way and presents a very clean
interface.

By the way, did the team that build Apple's LC cases know the team that
built Sun's IP cases. I've wondered about the Apple 61* cases and the
Sparc 10-20 cases. It seems that one design was influenced by another,
but I don't know enough about the time lines to guess who influenced
whom. Anyone know? Is there a book or web site that covers case design
during that period?

---
David Rouse
Network Manager