[SunRescue] [OT] Sun TV commercials

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 21 15:50:24 CST 2000

On 12/21/00 at 9:57 AM, Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at cu-portland.edu> wrote:

>Just to toss in my $0.02, I happen to think that these commercials are a
>WONDERFUL example of why Sun isn't the the only computer manufacturer
>out there.  They have the worst marketing people I've ever heard of.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It isn't just the TV commercials. It is hard to get a clear understanding of
any of their initiatives by reading their handouts or looking at the web
site. Sometimes the only meaningful information is buried in technical
papers. Everything else is vague, random hype. Of course all the companies
have this problem to a degree, trying to find out where things like NSL and
LDAP fit in to any company's strategy can be difficult.

What they need to is hire a technical enthusiast (like Mr. Bill!) as a link
between engineering and marketing. He could translate what the engineering
folks have built into compelling sales points for the marketing folks.

I guess the mainstream commercials are just there to keep the name in the
public eye, but they could at least be funny without being dumb.

--
drouse