[SunRescue] Anyone know of a X11 port for the ancient SparcBook2?

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Wed Apr 26 12:34:01 CDT 2000

BSD Bob wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of a X11R6 or R5 port maybe for the old
> Tadpole SparcBook2 machines?  Any pointers are appreciated.

Have you looked through the XFree stuff? I know people who run their
version of X on other SPARC machines. It's much smaller and faster
than Xsun because it doesn't include all the DPS stuff, which although
it's very nice isn't used by anyone.

I'm sure that there were PDF hardware manuals available for the SB3s
at one time. Maybe there are SB2 manuals somewhere, so you could work
out if any hacking needs doing.

Building X from source is not something I'd recommend you undertake
lightly, though. ;)

--m