[SunRescue] Q: regarding Axil 220/245 systems...

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 24 07:47:49 CDT 2000

Hello,
    As I prepare for the great purge of older Sun equipment* I find
myself
looking at one of my "interesting" items and trying to figure out what
do with it: an Axil 220 motherboard.

What I know about it:

Well, it is an 85 Mhz SS/5 "clone" in a slightly larger case - it has a
decent
graphics system built-in (CG6 or TurboGX I think), takes up to 2 banks
of 72 pin parity RAM, and each bank can be 2x4 Meg, 2x8 Meg, 2x16 Meg,
or even 2x32 Meg (IIRC). It acccepts two stacked SBus cards (dual width
cards won't work).

This board came in a case w/PS, but I pulled it to swap in an Axil 245
motherboard, which has a 110 Mhz SS/5 CPU, 3 banks of RAM and a
built-in TurboGX+ framebuffer (4 Meg RAM).

The Axil 220 motherboard has only 3 connectors that go off the board to
neccessary (?) connections - SCSI, Floppy, and power. What I want to
know is what can I do with this old motherboard?

    - Does anyone have a dead Axil 220/245 system with good case/PS?

    - Does anyone know the specs for a replacement PS?

    - Would anyone want to buy this from me?

I would consider putting the board in a small case *if* I could find a
suitable
PS, but baring that I have held on to the board in case the 245
motherboard
ever died.

I will probably hold on to the Axil 245 system, but if anyone wants to
make
an offer, I'd be willing to listen. I have lots of appropriate RAM and
the unit
has a 1 Gig HD in it, so if you think you might be interested, let me
know how
you want it configured.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
n2vip at bellatlantic.net

* The great purge is coming as a result of my decision to go for the
Ultra 5
  system offered by Sun to students/faculty, thanks to all who helped me
  arrive at that decision - now I just need to rid myself of the other
systems,
  I will hope for a system sale a week through the end of May.