[SunRescue] Cool eBay stuff.

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Sun Apr 23 12:13:10 CDT 2000

>    NetBSD only supports the "Sun-3" SCSI adapter. It comes in several
> configurations, but the one with the external connector is part 501-1217.

Well, you can do a trick that I did, that is now finally working on
NetBSD-1.4.2 sun3.

You have to combine a sun2 external controller with a sun3 internal
controller, by putting the sun3 multibus board in the sun2 frame.
Then, remove the resistor pack used to terminate the thing.

That allows you to run the internal tape and external drives on
Sunos and NetBSD.

I think I got the gist of that from James' sun faq.

>    Be warned that a lot of people have had bad experiences with VME-based
> SCSI adapters even with SunOS, and NetBSD's drivers don't seem to work
> as well as SunOS. I ran a 3/4xx CPU with a SCSI adapter and an external
> disk for several months until finally the SCSI errors (several a day)
> added up and the root filesystem got hosed beyond recovery.

Yeah, I am one of those for which it has never worked, UNTIL, the
latest NetBSD-1.4.2 relase.  That silly critter has been running
fine on my 3/260, for a couple of months, now.  Great stuff.

It requires you load Sunos, then dd the NetBSD miniroot to swap
and boot off that.  I could not get the tape boot to work correctly.
Netbooting may work, but I have not tried that.

I am now a happy NetBSD sun3 camper......(:+}}..... yeah!

Bob