[SunRescue] Stubborn Seagate 9.1gb Barracuda -- won't format. Help!

Stefan Hames rsh5 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 23 11:13:20 CDT 2000

>If it's vibrating, it sounds likely to be a bad drive.
>Do you know what the ID is set to?
>
>Make sure it's not on ID 7.

Hmmm. I thought that Sun SCA drives got their ID from the backplane
on SparcStation 5s.   As far as I remember there are no jumpers
installed . I'm not at my office; I'll check when I go in.  However,
it seems have an id of 3 set, which is as it should be for the first
drive on the backplane, I think.

>Sounds like it's not initializing correctly, thus it's reporting it's not
>ready.

I tried  both the < touch /reconfigure> before rebooting  and <boot
-r>. The system seems to recognize that the drive is there, but it
won't format.  I followed the instructions in the Solaris 2.6
SysAdmin guide  -- what else is necessary?

>Any other unusual noises it makes?

It's fairly quiet until it spins up early in the boot process, then
it gets quiet again and then finally spins up to true room-shaking
speed. I don't get any of the more exotic noises described on the
list.

Should I give up and contact the seller?

Thanks,

Stefan

Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)