[SunRescue] Stubborn Seagate 9.1gb Barracuda -- won't format. Help!

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 22 23:14:33 CDT 2000

At 11:58 PM 4/22/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I got a "good" deal on a new 9.1gb Seagate Barracuda ST39173WC on
>e-bay. The drive has a sun part and serial number and a SCA
>connector.  I thought that I could bung it into a sled and use it in
>my SparcStation 5.   Not so fast, newbie.  First, it vibrates  and
>sounds like a blender on the "frappez" setting. (The whole table
>where the workstation is set up vibrates like crazy as well.)
>Second, I can't get  the system to communicate with it, even to
>format it after booting from the Solaris install CD.  What ever I try
>triggers essentially the same error message  :
>
>WARNING:
/iommu at 0,1000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 3,0
>(sd3):
>
>Error for command: load/stop/start		Error Level: Retryable
>Requested block: 0 				Error Block:0
>Vendor: SEAGATE				Serial #:
>Sense Key: Not Ready
>ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x2
>
>Reserve failed
>Failed

If it's vibrating, it sounds likely to be a bad drive.
Do you know what the ID is set to?

Make sure it's not on ID 7.

Sounds like it's not initializing correctly, thus it's reporting it's not
ready.

Any other unusual noises it makes?