[SunRescue] Stubborn Seagate 9.1gb Barracuda -- won't format. Help!

Stefan Hames rsh5 at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 22 22:58:57 CDT 2000

I got a "good" deal on a new 9.1gb Seagate Barracuda ST39173WC on
e-bay. The drive has a sun part and serial number and a SCA
connector.  I thought that I could bung it into a sled and use it in
my SparcStation 5.   Not so fast, newbie.  First, it vibrates  and
sounds like a blender on the "frappez" setting. (The whole table
where the workstation is set up vibrates like crazy as well.)
Second, I can't get  the system to communicate with it, even to
format it after booting from the Solaris install CD.  What ever I try
triggers essentially the same error message  :

WARNING: /iommu at 0,1000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 3,0
(sd3):

Error for command: load/stop/start		Error Level: Retryable
Requested block: 0 				Error Block:0
Vendor: SEAGATE				Serial #:
Sense Key: Not Ready
ASC: 0x4 (LUN not ready), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x2

Reserve failed
Failed

Did I get a bad drive, or is there something simple that this newbie
is doing wrong?  Any insights would be most appreciated.  (That is,
any insights besides that I'm ignorant -- I knew that already!)

TIA,

Stefan
Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)