[SunRescue] Re: Hard drive manufacturers

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at loop.com
Thu Apr 20 21:48:44 CDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: James Lockwood <james at foonly.com>
To: rescue at sunhelp.org <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Date: Thursday, April 20, 2000 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Re: Hard drive manufacturers

>On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 apotter at icsa.net wrote:
>
>> Don't get me wrong, they're OK, just far from perfect.  I've had
particularly
>> bad luck with an older lot of 350 meggers.  Four of four failed.
Warranty
>> seems to be universally 1 year, while others go as long as 5.
>
>Out of curiousity, were these the 3.5" HH model 0661 drives?
>
>If so I'm hardly surprised.  IBM and WD were in bed for a long time, this
>was one of their early collaborations.  They still share much in the way
>of drive controller electronics.

I've noticed they're very similar, almost exact in terms of drive
controller.
Maybe this is why some early IBM HD's had been designated the model number
WD-xxx?

Any thoughts on the IBM 0671 (I think that's it).
5.25" FH 300MB SCSI-1 drive.  Looks like those in old AS/400's on eBay.

I think IBM, or rather Seagate (for IBM)'s worst drive was the ST4054.
Anybody remember these?  I heard there's a reef of them outside Boca Raton,
FL.

>The 0661 had a rather spectacular failure mode best described as sounding
>like a ball bearing being dropped on a glass coffee table, in front of a
>PA microphone.

Eww, not that sound.  I had that wonderful noise on a Micropolis 9.1GB UW
SCSI
drive I bought used.  Good condition, but it didn't work.
Fortunately, I had a guarantee on it, and the friend that tested it was a
good friend with
seller.