[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Apr 19 21:05:09 CDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 06:29:21PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Cyrus M. Reed wrote:
> > Even worse, try finding Buffered EDO ECC DRAM DIMMS, that's the *only*
> > thing my Dual PPro board (Intel PR440FX) will take.  I love the system
> The Ultra 5 and 10 take this exact spec of RAM.  Buffered EDO ECC 3V DIMMs
> in pairs.

eBay (as much as I hate to say it) is the best place to get U5/U10 ram.
When I had my U5, I got 128mb of RAM for it for $100, and just yesterday
scored two 32mb DIMMs for my U10 for $70.  You just have to keep an eye out.

> > (built in 10/100 networking, Adaptec 7880 UW SCSI, I'd call it a
> > workstation if I didn't know it would be insulting to the real thing), but
> > RAM is a killer for it. It wasn't so bad a while back when I got the RAM
> > for it when memory in general was dirt cheap (though this stuff was still
> > about 50% higher); but now its gone up to about $250/128M when you can

I had a dual ppro box that used the same kind of RAM.  It was a GREAT
machine (Toshiba something or other that had a generic Intel PR440FX board),
but give me a SPARC anyday.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |