[SunRescue] Monitor's Are Deadly!!!

Peter Joules peter at joules0.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 16:13:55 CDT 2000

In message <20000416185518.6AFF0E1 at proven.weird.com>, Greg A. Woods
<woods at weird.com> writes

>It's not the only protection that's *CRITICALY* important when working
>with high voltage though:
>
>       ALWAYS KEEP ONE HAND IN YOUR BACK POCKET

I have only broken that rule once, and I will never forget the
consequences.  I was working on a TV set about 20 years ago and had
isolated the fault to arcing in the EHT rectifier base.  I forgot that
those valves had the anode in the base and the cathode on the top cap.
I removed the base (switched off of course) from it's housing with my
other hand on the chassis.  I can only describe the feeling as one of
having been hit in the chest with a sledge hammer.  I think I frightened
my heart that day :(, but at least it frightened me as well, I have been
far more careful since.
--
Regards
Pete