[SunRescue] Sun monitor GDM-1662. Which is it?

Peter Joules peter at joules0.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 16:02:55 CDT 2000

In message <A5F46F4ED18FD211ABEE00105AC6CF077F7F63 at email.cu-
portland.edu>, Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu> writes
>> From: Maarten Deen [mailto:mdeen at xs4all.nl]
>> it gives a bang like a high voltage
>> arc, then the display goes black briefly and comes up again. Any
>> idea which part is failing here and can I fix it myself (with only
>> moderate soldering and electronics skills)?

This sounds as if the EHT is arcing somewhere.  If you take the monitor
apart, inspect the lead which goes to the side of the tube for any signs
of tracking.  This will show up as a black line, pay particular
attention to the round insulating cap at the tube end of the lead.

Be _very_ careful, the voltage in this region is several tens of
kilovolts and it holds charge almost forever so you _will_ get bitten if
you don't know what you are doing and it can be fatal.
--
Regards
Pete