[SunRescue] An intriguing idea...

Mike Hebel druaga at pmail.net
Wed Apr 12 08:28:55 CDT 2000

>>>   Oh good grief.  I had a loaded IPX run for nearly two days on a
>>> 1KVA UPS.  They practically run on brain current.
>>
>>I just checked last night (I've got a nice power meter), and it gives
>>34W for an IPC. That is practically brain current.
>>FYI: an ELC does 85W and a sun3-60 75W (150W including monitor)
>>The machines have a cos phi ranging from 0.45 to 0.7.

So you probably could get about 15 to 20 minutes out of an internal battery.
Cool!  I think I'll start looking at the small UPS boxes at Worst Buy or
Office Despot to see what might be "fittable" in the case.  That's probably
easier than a custom made one but I'd still like to try that as well
somewhere down the road.

Like I said - I'm an incurable hardware hacker at heart.  But then aren't we
all? *grin*

Mike Hebel