[SunRescue] "oops"

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Apr 12 06:28:36 CDT 2000

Well, while fiddling around with the HP (got it to use the 24-bit framebuffer;
thanks Chris - had to do a "path console graphics_1.1" to switch the console
settings over to that card, then remove the 8-bit framebuffer from the X
config and add the HCRX24, then set to 24-bit visual and restart, but it
works great now).

While fiddling around with the HP 715, I thought "why not just throw in one
of my old SCSI cd-rom drives as an internal drive".  Uh-huh.  Me with all
the big ideas, right?  So, I take a Sony CDU-8012 (OLD, 1x drive, came
with one of my 630MPs) out of its enclosure, and install it internally (after
a little bit of dremel tool work on the mounting bracket so the SCSI cable
will plug in) into the 715.

Put everything back together, need to test to make sure its bootable.  Well,
I notice that my HP-UX 10.20 cd is still stuck in its caddy in the HP
external cd-rom enclosure.  Smart me, "i'll just take the top off that drive
to get the cd and caddy out, since theres no emergency paperclip hole".

To make a long story short, I managed to screw up the Toshiba drive that
was in the HP enclosure.  Then, I got the CD and caddy out, and apparently
HP-UX doesent like the CDU-8012 drive that I installed ("boot failed" when
I try to boot HPUX off it).

So, now I'm stuck without a CD-ROM drive to use with my HP boxes.

Anybody got a 4/6/12x Plextor (or two or three) that they'll sell cheaply
and can ship quickly? 8-)  I figure if a Plextor wont boot a HP box,
nothing will...

On the "good" side tho, I picked up a NICE IBM external SCSI cd-rom enclosure
at GoodWill ComputerWorks today for $4.95.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |