[SunRescue] drive tray on 670MP

robert.rose at centrelink.gov.au robert.rose at centrelink.gov.au
Sun Apr 9 17:20:31 CDT 2000

Make sure you remove the fan tray and give it a good clean.  It's probably
wedged in pretty tight (mine were) and the years of dust and grime makes it even
harder to remove.  The other thing that helps is to remove all the steel plates
between the slots in the cardcage and throw them away.  I've never had any
problems with cooling or RF since I removed mine, although I must admit I'm only
running a 4/300 board, 48Mb RAM board and a Sun3 SCSI board.  It also makes the
thing significantly lighter to carry.

>I had to totally disassemble the two to get them in the house, down the
>cellar with out any help, just me <this is how I know exactly how to get at
>things>

Likewise, I had to sit in a noisy computer room at 11:00pm on a Friday night and
completely disassemble 2 of them to get them home.  I could probably disassemble
and reassemble one in my sleep if I had to.

You can also fit more than 2 drives in each of the disk cages at the top, if you
look carefully, Sun have put 4 of those 4 pin molex sockets in each of the disk
cages.  All you need is a long SCSI cable with enough connectors and some
half-height SCSI disks or tapes.

I've got original manuals that came with mine, if anybody needs any information
from them let me know.

cheers,

Rob.