[SunRescue] Re: Sun 411 problem that's been buggin me...

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Thu Apr 6 14:45:03 CDT 2000

Tim <kamakazi at tangent.stev.net> wrote:

> Chris Petersen wrote:

---snip---
> > switch.  When the cable connecter is oriented properly over the CDROM's ID
> > jumper block, regardless of whatever I set the switch to, the CD will ID at
> > 7 as if all jumpers were set.  If I reverse the cable, the drive will ID as
> > expected (in this case, the opposite jumper setting than it should be, i.e.
> > a "1" on the switch yields a "4" for an ID).
> >
> > Any ideas?  I know people have used Plextors in the open face 411, do
> > Toshibas just not work?  I've tried 4 or 5 different ID cables, and a couple
> > different switch/SCSI cable assemblies (I've got a stack of 411s here), all
> > to no avail.  I've got a Yamaha CDR in a 411 case with a similar problem.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> This suggestion may be simplistic, but it's just binary, flip it over
> and do the conversion.
> 1=4, 2=2, 4=1  so Id 1=4, ID 2=2, ID 3=6 (4+2) ID 4=1 ID 5=5 ID 6=6 ID
> 7=7.  Just put a sticker on it to let people know.  That way you don't
> have to open the case to change it like with jumpers.
>
> my 2 cents
>
> Tim

Tim's suggestion is simple and works great, but if you want to have the
correct id's displayed you need to interchanged two wires in the plug that
goes into the jumper block.

one side will have one wire and the other side will have three wires.
on the three wire side, use a sharp probe to depress the retainer clip
that keeps the contact in the plastic housing, extract the two outer
contacts and reverse them.

before           after

a 0 0            a 0 0       a represents the single wire and 0 is empty
x y z            z y x

note that the a wire may appear in any of the three positions on its
side, so   a 0 0     0 a 0       and   0 0 a     are equivalent.

-ron
Ron Wickersham
rjw at alembic.com
Alembic, Inc.