[SunRescue] Pointer needed for DHCP on Solaris 2.7 info

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 20:01:04 CDT 2000

On Monday, April 03, 2000 6:51 PM, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Hello,
>     I am the proud user of a BellAtlantic ADSL line into my house, and I
>
> have got my PCs sharing this speedy connection thanks to my Linksys
> Cable/DSL Router. My PCs are using DHCP to gather network settings,
> and I want to set my SS5 w/Solaris 2.7 to do the same... I have looked
> in all the places I can think of, what I am really looking for is a
> pointer
> to information on setting this up. I am not afraid to reinstall Solaris
> (if that
> would be easiest), since there is nothing on the machine except
> StarOffice.

Stolen from a web site at OSU.EDU ...

First you need to know the name of your network interface. On Sparc systems
it is usually le0 for 10Mb interfaces, and hme0 for 100Mb interfaces. The
following assumes it is le0. (You can use netstat -i to list all your
network interfaces.

Do the following as root.

  umask 022
  rm -f /etc/hostname.le0
  touch /etc/hostname.le0
  touch /etc/dhcp.le0
  /usr/ucb/shutdown -r now

To undo this, just remove /etc/dhcp.le0, and put a hostname (whose IP
address is given in /etc/hosts) in /etc/hostname.le0.