[SunRescue] Sunhelp color scheme

Cyrus M. Reed reedc at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Apr 2 22:28:14 CDT 2000

Okay, I could *maybe* (and that's a big maybe) see why they would have a
problem with the Sun Ripened Kernels site (it looks like they sell
hardware from the page), but I'm not seeing the point to all this.  It's
not like Sun is selling the older hardware actively, or taking up the
slack when it comes to support.  You'd probably have to be a complete
moron to think either site is directly associated with Sun in any way
(hmm, disclaimer, what's that...).  I guess either Sun thinks their too
popular, or this laywer guy is about to retire and isn't happy with Sun
about something.  Sun picked the wrong name if they didn't want to be
associated with anything else (is NASA going to see a letter for every
reference to the Sun?).

As for the rumor mill thing, that's what keeps people interested; as in
"Hey, I wonder what Sun has going in their skunkworks". It's free PR and
advertising in testemonial form; most companies would kill for that sort
of thing, especially from quality sites like Sunhelp. More importantly,
would you buy a product no one else recommends?  One that the manufacturer
ditches every time they make something new, and goes out of their way to
destroy any reference to that older product?  One like "Microsoft"?....

Or would you buy from the company that says, "You want to make a site to
support our older stuff?  Oh, cool, here's all the old documentation and
OS tapes/images to do it right..."  "You have a machine HOW old?  It
WORKS?  Didn't even know any still existed, but here's all the old
schematics should you ever have to fix it."  Okay, so maybe some of this
is a pipe dream, but that's the hardware company I want to see (and was
prone to think Sun was, until recently). Sort of like Zippo lighters, if
it ever breaks they fix it for free (though I don't think Sun has ever
gone *quite* this far). Sigh, there's still a chance this is just some
misguided soul and the universe will soon return to its rightful balance.
Lawyers...

-Cyrus

P.S.  Sorry Bill, I totally empathize with the situation, but the new
colors stink.  Though there is the "certain star in the vaccuum of space"
connection going which is kind of cool.