[SunRescue] What exactly is a Sun 4/25 ?

Scotty Logan swl at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 28 16:45:07 CDT 2000

On 28 April 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Isn't SCSI a parallel interface [8|16|32] bits wide?
>
> Isn't TCP/IP a serial interface (not RS-232, but 1 bit wide transmission)?
>
> So a 5 MB/S SCSI interface at 8 bits wide (SCSI-I) wouldn't that
> yield a *theoretical* 40 MB/S transfer speed?

You need to be careful with the case of [bB]: b = bit, B = byte

A 5MB/s SCSI interface has a theoretical maximum 5MB/s transfer
rate, or 40Mb/s.

10Mb/s ethernet has a theoretical maximum of 1.25MB/s, but the frame
overheads of ethernet, IP and other layers take some of the bandwidth.
Not to mention that 10Mb/s ethernets are rarely switched, so
collisions also reduce the available bandwidth.

  Scotty

--
Scotty Logan - swl at stanford.edu - Unix & ADSM admin - Stanford University

"How many times do I have to tell ya... the right tool for the right job!"
  Scotty, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier