[SunRescue] What exactly is a Sun 4/25 ?

Garten, David N., CTR, OSD/P&R GartenD at PR.OSD.MIL
Fri Apr 28 11:01:19 CDT 2000

ELCs are 33MHz.  Boot from anywhere (SCSI, NET).  Compare with SS2 at 40MHz.
No sbus.  Takes 4 16Meg 72 pin parity SIMMs.  2 slow ports for thingies.
Will make noise.  AUI ethernet requires a dongle to hook it to your 10BT or
10B2.  Make a fair web browser terminal or a cheap xman terminal or even a
Postscript viewer.  Way cheap at flea markets/ham shows/swap meets.  I got
the one I'm looking at out of a dumpster!  Had 64M of 16M parity SIMMs
inside, too.

I loaded all of 2.6 running CDE on one with a 2.4G Seagate storagepack and
it doesn't make me wait too long on boot(couple minutes?).  I leave it
running round the clock.

You can make it into a headless server with a little tweaking in the PROM.
If the darn things had a second ethernet, you could make a bitchin cheap
RISC router/firewall to DSL.  I should get it off the stand-alone drive and
serve it off another system.  Free up the drive.  Put the IPC to work with
an eth1 card as a firewall.

Anybody used SCSI to bridge a cluster?  TFTP boot a set off LINUX and
cluster a box full of em?  They are not hot.  Ought to be able to get a
bunch on a single pee-cee PS.  Now you got me thinkin!

Dave Garten
Currently Using Sparcs and Solaris for Occupational Therapy