[SunRescue] Anyone know of a X11 port for the ancient SparcBook2?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Apr 27 01:34:58 CDT 2000

[ On Wednesday, April 26, 2000 at 19:42:03 (-0400), BSD Bob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Anyone know of a X11 port for the ancient SparcBook2?
>
> Unfortunately, the SparcBook2 is not Sun, and it is sparc in name only.

That really shouldn't matter very much....

> It is one wierdo little beast, as I am finding out here and there.
> There are a lot of folks playing with the SB3 boxes, but essentially
> noone is doing anything with the SB1 and SB2 boxes, that I can find.
> Everything about it is ``custom'' and not quite Sun, including the
> Solaris 1.1.1-B.11, which is the only known OS that will run on the
> silly critter.

That still shouldn't be a problem -- that's probably just SunOS-4.1.4
with patches and drivers.  I'd be very surprised if applications needed
much special porting -- in fact it should be almost 100% binary
compatible....

You shouldn't even need GCC for X11R5, but I think enough ansi-isms
crept into X11R6 that you'll probably want GCC rather than trying to
undo them.  I did build R6.3(?) on native 4.1.4 once (i.e. no GCC), and
I think I have a copy of the hacked source on DAT somewhere, but the
only DAT drive I have right now is a client's and it's on a currently
non-functional machine....

Of course if the graphics hardware is different enough that none of the
"stock" X11 sun servers will work then you're probably best sticking to
the stock binary distribution, at least for the server.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>