[SunRescue] Anyone know of a X11 port for the ancient SparcBook2?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 26 16:32:17 CDT 2000

[ On Wednesday, April 26, 2000 at 13:53:15 (-0400), BSD Bob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Anyone know of a X11 port for the ancient SparcBook2?
>
> > Building X from source is not something I'd recommend you undertake
> > lightly, though. ;)
>
> Well, if it did not require biggie coding tweaks, but would build out
> of an existing source, that is no problem.  Tweaking sources from
> scratch with no manuals or docs is not my forte.

Most of the stock X11 should build on a sparcbook2 running solaris just
as well and as easily as it would build on any real Sun running the same
release of solaris (i.e. very easily if you follow the instructions
since I'm almost certain that most releases of X11 since at least R5
have been widely built and tested on various versions of solaris).  The
only question arises as to whether or not the sparcbook2's frame buffer
presents a different API than those commonly available in Sun machines
or not.  I would guess that most of the Xserver programs would build,
but I wouldn't bet on any of them actually working.  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>