[SunRescue] desperately looking for sun solaris 2.6 media cd

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Apr 23 19:09:21 CDT 2000

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Martin Wedel wrote:

> I'm looking for the latest version of Solaris that fully supports the
> 670mp. I believe its 2.6? Right now I'm running Redhat, I'm amazed how
> well it runs on this machine, unfortunately its at tier 3 support, and
> the fddi card is flaky under it.

Solaris 2.5.1 was the last release to officially support the 600MP family.
Solaris 2.6, 7 and 8 can run with a minor kernel tweak, but you will not
be able to use SM100 CPU modules or most VME cards.  Sbus cards function
well, the system is basically treated as a SS10.

If this is the FDDI/DX VME card, I highly recommend replacing it with the
sbus version.  I picked up a genuine Sun/NPI FDDI/DAS card for under $60
on Ebay and the SAS versions are considerably cheaper.  The FDDI/DX was
famous for drawing so much power it caused VME backplane problems in early
versions.  It's also quite slow relative to the sbus cards.

I've got extra FDDI cards and cables if anyone needs them, contact me
off-list.

-James