[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

nick at ns.snowman.net nick at ns.snowman.net
Wed Apr 19 17:03:55 CDT 2000

The u5 (to the best of my knowledge) uses a thing called EDO Dimms.  EDO
dimms are evil.  The only reason they were ever created is sdram failed to
add something on the order of 2 pins so interleaving could be done.  This
means that while sdram is faster 1 on 1, when you boost it up to 1 on 5
(interleaved 5 times) or 1 on 10 (interleaved 10 times) sdram looses.
Badly.  So EDO dimms are used (this provides the advantage to sun that
they can ream you for memory, but not as badly as truly proprietary
stuff).  As to Western Digital drives, I've had great luck with them, and
they take their drives back!  I know this is a shock to anyone who's tried
to rma a Seagate or Fujitsu drive.  You call the number, give them your
serial num, your date code, and if it's within 3 or 5 years (depending on
drive) they'll ship you a new one.  That's it.  It's great!
	Nick