[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Wed Apr 19 12:17:39 CDT 2000

I've gotten several replies, thanks to all for your input.

I am leaning toward getting the machine (I believe the offer runs until
the end of June, 2000) but the various posts have peaked my curiosity:

    - Does this have *any* SCSI subsystem? If not, what known good
      SCSI cards will it take (Adaptec? Other?)

    - How proprietary is the RAM on this unit? Is additional memory
      *real* expensive (like SS/5 RAM, go figure!) or reasonable, like
      (PC RAM)?

    - I may have a line on a low-cost Sun PCi card (400 Mhz AMD K5-2
      w/64 Meg RAM) - nearly half-price (I hope). If I can get one of those
      boards, the unit becomes quite interesting...

    - Drive reliability - are the included IDE drives really that bad (and
break
      inside warranty period)?

    For me this machine would be a general work box, with only really hobbist
uses - but an Ultra w/24 bit graphics and 128 Meg RAM seems sweet...

Thanks again,

Ken
n2vip at bellatlantic.net