[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at loop.com
Wed Apr 19 06:55:21 CDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Pres. Dan Jameyson <jameyson at amist.org>
To: rescue at sunhelp.org <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 3:16 AM
Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

>1) I got the 333mhz with the larger cache rather than the 360mhz with
>the tiny cache. At these speeds, cache is a lot more significant than a
>mere 27 mhz. If they still offer the 333, try and get that.

IIRC, I think the 333MHz version had 1MB of L2, vs. 256KB for the 360MHz
version.

>2) The IDE disks really suck up performance potential. I haven't had the
>time to do it yet, but the system would seriously FLY with UW SCSI. It
>wouldn't be a cheap upgrade, and you'd have to plan on using mostly
>external scsi stuff.

I can imagine, since IDE really sucks.  One question I was wondering about:
Can you use a DVD on the IDE controller?  Or is DVD not yet supported?
What I'd like is an Ultra 5 with the SunPCI card (AMD K6-2 400MHz),
so I can also have virtual NT.

>I'm not one to make emotionally based decisions... but having your own
>Ultra 5 is one of those little extra things you can feel good about when
>you wake up in the morning. ;)

Heh heh, I feel that way when I wake up and when I get home from
work, even with my old/slow SS2's.

And I too am stuck on Solaris for good (one reason I haven't had
a production Linux box in well over a year).

Paul