[SunRescue] Q: Regarding Sun Educator promo Ultra 5 system

Ken Hansen n2vip at impop.bellatlantic.net
Wed Apr 19 01:34:30 CDT 2000

Hello,
    I am thinking about taking Sun up on their offer for educators and
students on a Sun Ultra 5 for $1,295, and I am curious if the consensus
is that this is a good deal or not - I have spent most of my "Sun time"
on loder, low-cost hardware, and now have quite a collection of bits
that I could probably sell to get me about half-way to $1300 *without*
selling my Sparcbook 3GX.

    I am a full-time graduate student, so I should be eligible IIRC...

    My question really is about the speed of the non-SBUS arch.
machines, since this is a "pc-style" SPARC box. The CPU is fast
(360 Mhz?) it has 128 Meg RAM and an 8 Gig IDE drive and
comes with a 17" monitor and I forget the framebuffer specs. Could
I do better with $1200 - 1300 in the used market?

    This machine would be for general home use, with *some* database and

web server functions, but low-volume stuff really. I like to have a
SPARC
box or two around, but I am up to my ears in an SS2 (w/Weitek), IPX
(again, w/Weitek), SS5/70, SS/10 2x66 Mhz HyperSPARCs, and an
Axil 245 system (sorta/kinda like an SS5 in a lunchbox style case). My
thought is to chuck it all and get one nice Ultra 5 and be done with the

older systems...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ken