[SunRescue] Egads! Serial battles...

jeff borisch jeff at sonicrim.com
Tue Apr 18 12:45:44 CDT 2000

Hi Eric,

I have been trying to get to the same thing myself with a PB 165c. I have
the Serial A connected to a male to male connector then to a Laplink cable
which then connects to a Mac modem cable. This setup worked for me on my
386i right off the bat (less the serial gender changer) so i thought i knew
exactly what I was doing. When I graduated to sparcs it didn't seem to work
anymore. Assuming you are following all the instructions like the terminal
set to 8N1 9600 bps and removing the keyboard and framebuffer, we are in the
same situation. I have noticed while poking around the monitor settings you
can set the output to screen or, I assume, serial A. Is this a "hard
setting" that ignores if you have the keyboard and FB removed and won't
divert output to serial A?

I have also noticed that openboot settings for security mode appear in the
sparcs that have been set for nvram security (which I have subverted (-: ),
but not in ones that have not been protected.

I would expect that printenv would show 'security node none' instead there
is not even an entry. Will no entry appear until someone does a setenv?

If so, is there a place where I can learn all the settings for openboot? The
links off of sunhelp are helpful (obviously) but some of the command syntax
I have not understood, actually my machine doesn't understand it. The help
command in the monitor only describes a few of the parameters.

Thanks for the help.

-jeffrey