[SunRescue] Monitor's Are Deadly!!! If one is foolish.

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 17 17:31:44 CDT 2000

> Does anyone Actually know how to cool down a monitor... releive it of its
> charge...
>
> And I don't wanna put a screw driver in bettween the cap leads. thats the
> last thing I wanna do???

Special grounding straps and probes are sometimes used.  That extreme
should not usually be necessary.  I do use them for discharging
capacitors in 500-5000 volt radio gear, though..... just in case.

Most monitors will lose their charge if given some time powered off.
Most of what I read in the tech manuals suggests a few minutes is all
that is required.  I generally give them 1 hour before opening them up.
If I get scared, I let them sit overnight.

That is not much of an answer, but is what I do, and I am still alive.

Anyone know offhand what keeps blowing in the old sun monitors?  I have
gone through a dozen in the last couple of years of the old mono and color
things used on the sun3 gear.  Most of what I run across in Moo U surplus
is dead, or fading fast.  DEC monitors are horrid.  Sun monitors second
most horrid.  Oddly, peecee things seem to last forever.....(:+{{.....

Bob