[SunRescue] SCSI disks and old SPARCs

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at loop.com
Mon Apr 17 15:10:22 CDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu>
To: 'rescue at sunhelp.org' <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2000 7:53 AM
Subject: RE: [SunRescue] SCSI disks and old SPARCs

What I'd suggest if possible is try booting with only the
boot drive, and keep adding devices until you see errors.

In my case, a working CD-ROM stopped working completely
by coincidence when i unmounted /vol on night.  After messing
around, I took it out, and now the system works  (which was this
system).

>> Anyone seen this before? I suspect the SS1+ motherboard is poorly,
>> maybe the SCSI chip output driver is dodgy?
>
>While the SCSI on these machines isn't fast, I haven't had any problems
with
>my SS2 or SS10 running with the SCSI bus saturated for fairly long ammounts
>of time, so I doubt it's the hardware.  I don't know much about SunOS
>4.1.4...

Have you tried Solaris on the machine?