[SunRescue] New SCSI-disks in old Sparc-boxen.

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 16 15:35:03 CDT 2000

On Sun, Apr 16, 2000 at 01:02:00PM -0400, Pavane, Brian wrote:
> Any SCSI Narrow disk seems to work fine.  If you're using an internal disk,
> I would not go above a 7200rpm disk, and no more than one in each machine.
> These disks run very hot, and the older Sparc's do not have the best of
> cooling.

Never try to run an old-style Seagate Barracuda drive (one of the fully
1/2 height ones, 3.5" form factor) in a SPARCstation 1/2-type chassis.  I
was using one to test a system, and let it run in the chassis WITHOUT THE
COVER EVEN BEING ON.  When I went back to pick up the drive out of the
system, it was so hot I got blisters, and not mild ones, either.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |