[SunRescue] Problem with a SPARC2

Mike Hebel druaga at pmail.net
Thu Apr 13 12:40:40 CDT 2000

Two things immediately come to mind:

1) The RAM is bad and not even allowing a minimum POST of the motherboard.

2) A bad drive can "sometimes" lock the scsi bus enough so that the system
won't post.  (Take this second one with a grain of salt as I've seen it more
with PCs that Sparc.)

A rare but third possibility is that the ground wire in the power supply is
intermittent enough to cause the LEDs to light but not provide a good enough
setup for the POK signal to work properly.  (I'm at my limits of Sparc
hardware knowledge here so if anybody has any better answers feel free to
speak up.)  I don't know how to test the POK signal but I'm sure someone
here knows.

Try replacing the RAM and only installing one bank at a time.  This will
probably tell you if the problem is "about" RAM or not.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Mike Hebel