[SunRescue] Interesting NT stuff

Hatle, Steven J. shatle at vue.com
Thu Apr 13 11:07:29 CDT 2000

All,

Below is a clip of an article from CNet touting new IBM servers. Realizing
that software problems cause more difficulties than hardware problems, this
is IBM's response. Nice to know that third-party vendors are coming out with
tools to tell you when your enterprise operating system (NT) has so pooped
in it's own bed that you should reboot now. If I were Microsoft, I would be
embarrassed. If I were Sun or the Linux guys, I'd be marketing the hell out
of it.  .  .

My $.02

Steve

To address software problems, IBM is adding "software rejuvenation" features
that accommodate problems with Windows 2000 and Windows NT. Those operating
systems gradually become less stable as computing tasks that are supposed to
be finished don't quite let go of all the resources that they used, such as
memory. For that reason, many organizations periodically restart their
Windows machines.

Right now, software rejuvenation means simply a feature that lets Windows
computers automatically restart themselves periodically. In the fourth
quarter, the servers will monitor the operating system as well as several
popular server software packages to judge more intelligently when they need
to be rebooted, Yost said.

Steve Hatle
NCS/VUE
shatle at vue.com