[SunRescue] An intriguing idea...

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Wed Apr 12 14:46:32 CDT 2000

BSD Bob wrote:

> I have been doing this for 30+ years, running old time Vacuum Tube radio
> gear off batteries.   IFF you have a choice, run a) wet nicads of around
> 100ah capacity or better, or b) marine deep cycle batteries.  My nicads
> are over 20 years old, and still running strong.  The only better
> battery is a real Edison nickel-iron-alkaline battery, but those are
> scarce as hen's teeth these days.  They should last 100 years, if you
> can find them, and know how to maintain them.

Nicads? Reliable? Tell more!

These `marine deep cycle batteries' people mention: are these just
normal open-top lead-acids designed to allow deep discharges without
plate sulphation? I'd been thinking in terms of lead-acids as what
I wanted: I don't really need the current capability, but capacity
and reliability are important. If not, what are they? I'd need to
work out what the UK equivalent is.

--m