[SunRescue] An intriguing idea...

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 12 14:00:44 CDT 2000

> > What I did with my 400VA unit when the dink bettery in it died was get a
> > standard 12V deep-cycle marine battery.  I wired it to my UPS and now
> > have a unit that can drive my SS2 for 3-5 days (depending on activity).
>
> I've been considering (once I move to somewhere with a ground floor
> or ideally a cellar) buying lots of big (truck, boat, etc) batteries.
> Kind of like a telephone exchange battery room[0], but probably on
> a slightly smaller scale...
>
> Maybe we should have a hardware hackers' list. ;)

I have been doing this for 30+ years, running old time Vacuum Tube radio
gear off batteries.   IFF you have a choice, run a) wet nicads of around
100ah capacity or better, or b) marine deep cycle batteries.  My nicads
are over 20 years old, and still running strong.  The only better
battery is a real Edison nickel-iron-alkaline battery, but those are
scarce as hen's teeth these days.  They should last 100 years, if you
can find them, and know how to maintain them.  The cost of new cells,
though, will eat your pocketbook, for lunch, and then some.  My 105AH
cells cost around 150 bucks each, new, although I lucked into mine at
1 buck per cell, surplus from a battery recycler that could not get
rid of them, because they had no lead in them, and the battery trade
did not know how to handle/recycle nicads.  Lucky me.....(:+}}...

Now, IF I could get my old 12 slot desksides to run off batteries...(:+\\...

Bob