[SunRescue] Good SPARCstation 10?

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 14:53:54 CDT 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:11:54 -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:

>By buying into an SS10 you are getting some nice upgrade options, but unless you
>have a well-stocked parts bin, you will have to spend some real money to get a
>"good" system.
>
>RAM for an SS10 is about $15/16 Meg SIMMs, $75-$100/64 Meg SIMMs -
>you can put up to 128 Meg of RAM in an SS10 using "low-density" 16 Meg
>SIMMs.
>
>CPUs can get quite expensive as well - my SS10 is running 2x66 Mhz
>HyperSPARCs that I got for about $25-30/each, but that was a rare deal.
>
>And since you'll want video you will need to get a framebuffer, and that is a few
>dollars (depends on model, a CG6 is a good compromise for $30-50 IIRC).

Hmmm...  Unless it wouldn't be a bad idea to use it as my personal machine also,
I'd rather put in a CG3 in it, as it would be headless.   I have an extra CG6 now.

>Low-end SS4/SS5 workstations can be very effective little web servers for
>low-demand applications, and if you get one with the drive sleds you can
>take advantage of low-cost SCA drives.

Well, I already have about 5GB in external drives now on my other SS2 that
I'd use (and of course reinstall Solaris as the SS10 is sun4m).

>Look into the vendors on sunhelp.org, there are some special deals for various
>SPARCstations that could be useful.
>
>I really like my SS10, but I got most of it's pieces as cast-off parts from my
>former employer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll see what I can get from the swap meet.
Also, about memory, does it use proprietary, or 72 pin?